Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Drive-By Fandom

(edited for hilarity)

RUSH: Tammy in Shawnee, Kansas, nice to have you on the Rush Limbaugh program. Hello.

CALLER: Hey, listen, I just feel like, as Americans, we need to put this through the filter of these people who are interviewing for the presidential seat of the United States of America, the most powerful nation in the world, and this Barack Obama is not qualified. He's handed us a blank piece of paper for a résumé, and our finest companies here in the United States wouldn't even consider this guy. He has no qualifications.

RUSH: I'm big on the right-now. Somebody's gotta be for right-now, and that's me.

CALLER: Hey, listen, my 12-year-old daughter, her statement last week was who cares what the guy's middle name is, he looks like Curious George.
Curious-George - Photo Hosted at Buzznet
RUSH: Don't make me laugh. I can't laugh. But trust me, the people that are going to have to be separated from Obama are the people you see at his rallies and the people in these polls and those people are not attached to him because of intelligence; they're not attached to him because of his experience; not attached to him because of anything to do with his record. They're attached to him like the faithful are attached to a religion.

RUSH: I need to apologize to both Senator Obama and to Senator McCain. We had a caller, the last caller of the hour, her name was Tammy, is that right? We were talking about Hillary and Obama and that race with her, right? Obama's qualifications. And she told me what her 12 year old's reaction to Obama was. The little 12 year old thought Obama looked like Curious George, and I chuckled and we went to a break. I'd never heard of Curious George.

I never read Batman,
120037673 - Photo Hosted at Buzznet

never read Superman,
supes - Photo Hosted at Buzznet

never read Flash.
flash-alexross - Photo Hosted at Buzznet

I didn't read comic books.


RUSH: This is Tanisha in Chicago. Hi, Tanisha. It's nice to have you on the program.

CALLER: Hi. You know what, Rush? I just wanted to say, um, first of all, I think you are lying.

RUSH: Really? Well, what else am I lying about?

CALLER: All the time!

RUSH: Yeah, I figured.


RUSH: This is Sandy in Dayton, Ohio. Great to have you here on the EIB Network. Hello.

CALLER: I am also close to your age. I had never heard of Curious George, either, and I just can't understand what the big issue is. You know, there a lot of books and a lot of cartoons or whatever that people never heard of.

RUSH: That's not the point.

CALLER: Exactly! It's not the point.

RUSH: The point is that there are Obama supporters out there waiting, monitoring for anything that they can start accusing people of that's racist.
cgeo - Photo Hosted at Buzznet

CALLER: Exactly. Exactly.

RUSH: So there is a big sensitivity to this. This is why I say the race business is only going to get bigger with Obama's election.

CALLER: Exactly.


RUSH: Here's Gerald in Little Rock, Arkansas. Hi, Gerald. I'm glad you waited. Welcome to the EIB Network.

CALLER: I just felt that I had to call in because I'm a black male from Little Rock, Arkansas, 25 years old, and certified black enough to criticize Tanisha. Anybody who listens to your show long enough and hard enough is going to realize that you spit too much truth out of your mouth in order for us to pull it in and use it and do our own research from what you say, for anybody who's an actual listener of this show to say, "Well, he lies all day long, and he knew what he was doing and he was laughing about the fact that she said he looked like a monkey." That's ridiculous. And I know where she's coming from, because I argue with people like her every single day. They feel like the race card can still be played, and, to me, it's frankly ridiculous, because I'm a single father, I don't have a college degree, but I've got a great job, been in the military for eight years, and it is on me how well or how horrible my family does, not President Bush, not President Obama or Clinton or McCain. It is on me and my family. And that's what conservatism is all about.

RUSH: This is not going to end, this is only going to get worse. There's a whole race industry in this country, a cottage industry to keep this kind of stuff alive and --

CALLER: And I hate it.

RUSH: -- growing, and it's a business and there are people earning a pretty good living, you know, running around promoting the concept of never ending (and worsening, in fact) American racism.

CALLER: I hate that, Rush, because, you know, that's what keeps people down

RUSH: All of this stuff gets wrapped up in political correctness and people end up afraid to say things about which there's nothing wrong whatsoever.
today parcoltop22 21449 ImageFile - Photo Hosted at Buzznet